What to Do If Your Pet is Stung

Dog happily running through flower field

Dogs and Bee Stings: What to Do If Your Pet is Stung

Taking the time to stop and smell the roses (or any flowers) can lead to a painful experience for your dog if a bee happens to be hovering nearby. Although bee stings certainly aren't comfortable, they usually don't cause severe allergic reactions in dogs. If your pooch does encounter a stinging bee or wasp this spring or summer, these steps can help soothe the pain.

Remove the Stinger

Honeybees leave their stingers behind when they sting. In fact, venom continues to enter your pet's body for several minutes after a sting unless you remove the stinger. Don't use your fingers to pull out the stinger, as you may accidentally force more venom into your pet's skin. Instead, gently scrape the stinger off with the edge of a credit card and wash the skin with warm soapy water.

If you can't locate the stinger, give your furry friend a bath instead. Bathing can help dislodge the stinger and help soothe the skin.

Treat Pain and Swelling

Cold compresses offer a simple way to reduce pain, redness, or swelling. Cold washcloths, freezer gel packs, ice in a resealable bag, or bags of frozen vegetables make good compresses. If you use a frozen compress, be sure to wrap it in a towel to prevent frostbite. Leave the compress in place as long as your dog will allow but for no more than 20 minutes at a time.

After a few minutes of cold compress therapy, most dogs will feel much better and won't require additional treatment.

Oral Benadryl can also be helpful in reducing swelling. Before you offer your furry friend the over-the-counter medication, ask the veterinarian if it's a good idea. Since pets require different dosages than humans, you'll want to be sure to give the veterinarian a call.

Recognize Danger Signs

Signs of a possible allergic reaction may include:

  • Pale Gums
  • Vomiting
  • Hives
  • Lack of Energy
  • Severe Swelling
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Collapse

If you notice any of these signs, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately. Visit your local emergency clinic if the vet's office happens to be closed when the sting occurs.

Once your dog arrives at the office or clinic, he or she may be treated with injected Benadryl, fluids, and steroids. Your pet may need to stay at the vet's office for a few days while he or she recovers.

Problems can also occur if your dog is stung by a bee or wasp in the nose, mouth, or throat. Although your pet may not be allergic to bees or wasps, stings in these sensitive areas can cause swelling that partially or fully blocks airways, making breathing difficult. Severe swelling in the mouth, nose, throat or neck warrants an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

How to Prevent Bee Stings

You may not be able to prevent all stings, but there are a few things you can do to lessen the chance your dog will get stung. We suggest:

  • Checking for Hives and Nests: Dogs are curious by nature and don't understand it's not a good idea to poke their noses in beehives or wasps' nests. Even if your pet isn't usually allergic to stings, being stung many times can expose him or her to large amounts of venom that can cause a severe reaction. Check the nooks and crannies of your property weekly for signs of hive or nest building. If you do notice hives or nests, remove them promptly or ask a professional exterminator for help.
  • Limiting Exposure: If your dog can't reach flowering plants, he or she is less likely to be stung. Keep flowering plants in your yard behind fences and dissuade your pet from sniffing plants when you're out for a walk.
  • Removing Food Promptly: After you enjoy a meal on your deck or patio, cover or remove leftovers as soon as possible. Since bees are particularly attracted to sugary foods and beverages, keeping them out-of-reach can help protect your family and your pets from painful stings.

Bee or wasp stings are little more than a minor, but temporarily painful, nuisance for most dogs. If your pet displays any of the signs mentioned above, or you're concerned about his or her symptoms, call us immediately.

Sources:

PetMD: So Your Dog Has Been Stung by a Honeybee

https://www.petmd.com/dog/so-your-dog-has-been-stung-honeybee

Texas A&M University: Protecting Your Pets from Killer Bees, 7/16/15

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/news/pet-talk/protecting-your-pets-from-killer-bees

Hills: How to Handle Your Dogs Bee or Wasp Sting

https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/routine-care/what-to-do-when-wasp-bee-sting-dog

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule closed holiday's including day after Thanksgiving.

Tacoma Office

Monday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Tuesday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Wednesday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Thursday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Friday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

1:00 pm-5:00 pm

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed

Testimonials

  • "Unfortunately had to put down my 15 year old cat. Jones animal staff is compassionate and honest when you need them to be most. Every time in you can see the passion everyone there has for every pet they see. I know who I can trust when i get a puppy soon. Thank you for the care and making the best of a tough situation."
    Justin S.
  • "Friendly Drs and staff fancy coffee for while you wait!"
    Tom D.
  • "Love goes they care for my boys and are so helpful!!"
    Trisha C.
  • "The staff is wonderful, just a pleasure to work with"
    Tonja P.
  • "We used to see another Veterinarian, however, when our dog was sick we couldn't get an appointment for a couple of weeks. My daughter recommended Jones Animal Hospital, and I called. I was able to get our dog in the same day. When we met with Dr. Jones, he answered all of my questions completely without rushing me at all. We have been treated promptly, with friendly respect by the entire staff each time we visit. The medical care has been knowledgeable and helpful. The fees are extremely reasonable, too. We have found our animals' home for medical care!"
    Dori O.
  • "The people here are so nice and are very concerned for the animals they treat. Prices are the most reasonable I have come across as well. I recently took in one of my young kitties to be spayed, they keep them override which is nice so they can make sure they have they the experience well. The day after I brought her home, they called to check up on her to see how she was doing. I have never had a veterinary office do that before. I would recommend this office to anyone & everyone!!"
    Darlene B.
  • "They always seem to offer great compassionate care. And they were relatively affordable as well."
    Erik N.
  • "They have been taking wonderful care of my pets for many years."
    Corey D.
  • "I never take my fur babies anywhere else! I know I can trust the staff here & I know they CARE about the animals & their companions. Dr. Jones did retire, but the remaining staff is like family to me. They never charged more than I could afford because they always run the options by me first. I recently had to say goodbye to my 20 year old cat - It was inevitable but VERY painful. Even though they were very busy & they had to squeeze us in that day, they still offered to have one of the staff members sit with me as I said goodbye. I don't know anywhere else that gives that level of comfort!"
    Danielle P.
  • "We love our vet! Been using this vet for over 15 years. NO complaints!"
    Karen S.